Monday, February 6, 2012

The wisdom of four-year-olds...

My favorite part of the day is the car ride to and from school with my boys. It's my time to talk to them, find out how their day went, and learn about what makes my inquisitive, impulsive little guys "tick". Jack's conversations are rather one sided at the moment. He will stop, mid sentence to point out the bus down the street (he currently calls school busses "buhbuhbuhkoo"). Conor, however, has profound insight during our daily commute...
Yesterday we celebrated Conor's fourth birthday. This morning on the way to school he asked me if he was a grown-up yet. I was curious why my bright little man was in such a hurry to grow up. He said "I want to be bigger like a grown up so I can cook pasta." Of all the reasons to be an adult I'm amused that this was his choice. Surely I though he would want to be a grown-up so he could drive a truck. He's been waiting to reach that milestone since he could walk. But my wise four-year-old realized something I had not; that life is not a matter of milestones, but a matter of moments. It's the unexpected day to day events that leave lasting impressions.
Here's to finding the extraordinary in simple boxes of pasta...!

3 comments:

  1. Love this. It makes perfect sense to all Italians...I think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right Laurie! C definitely enjoys Italian cuisine... pasta, pizza, and ice cream! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anybody for doughboys!

    ReplyDelete